There are about 700 Programming languages in the world. But the demand for each programming language does not remain the same. It varies from time to time. Also, new Programming languages are coming every now and often. Check out the top 10 programming languages in the world right now.
Python is one of the most popular and most loved languages nowadays. It was invented by Guido van Rossum and released in 1991. There are several reasons why you have to like Python over other programming languages.
- Python has Extensive Libraries. It has a huge library, there are over 137,000 python libraries and 198,826 python packages ready to comfort developers’ regular Programming experience.
- Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) guided.
- Easy to learn, understand, and code for beginners.
- Python-based web development frameworks like Django, Bottle, Flask, Pyramid, and Turbo Gear are simple to learn, feature-packed, and popular.
- Although being a programming language, it is as easy to learn as the English language. The simple syntax makes sure a low learning curve for this language.
- Easily integration with Web Services.
- High demanded in the job market with over 1 million GitHub repositories.
- Not satisfactory for mobile computing
- The database access layer is a bit undeveloped and primitive.
- Threading isn’t satisfying because of GIL (Global Interpreter Lock)
Usage/Application: Web Development, Data Science, Desktop GUIs, Business applications. In AI and Machine Learning space Python is also used.
- Highly versatile Programming language.
- Regular updates via the ECMA specification.
- Object-Oriented Oriented Programming Support.
- Plenty of resources in GitHub
- Platform independent.
- Used for building a various range of applications
Usage/Application: Web Development, Web Application Development, Browser Game Development, Mobile App Development, Web Servers, and so on.
Java is one of the most liked programming languages in the world. It was developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems and released in 1995. The language has been existing for 25 years. Some of the specialists believe that Java is one of the most effective programming languages ever created.
- Open Source Object-Oriented Programming language.
- Platform Independent. Java code runs on any machine, but the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) needs to be present there.
- It has Strong Memory Management and Automatic garbage collection.
- Backward Compatibility and Top-Notch Security.
- Java’s new frameworks such as spring, Struts, Java Server Faces [JSF], Grails, and Hibernate have also become very popular and easy to learn.
- Over 1.2 million GitHub repositories.
- Secure, fast, and powerful language
- Verbose and Complex Code. So it is not easy for beginners to learn.
- Java is slow and has poor performance.
- Not ideal for an application that runs in the cloud.
- Requires lots of memory space
Usage/Application: Web Development, Big Data, Android App Development, Desktop GUI Application, and So on.
C# is a programming language of .Net Framework developed by Microsoft. It was created by Anders Hejlsberg and released in 2000. People may think of C# as a blend of the C++ and the Java language but, Anders Hejlsberg, the creator of C#, says the language is more like C++ than Java.
- C# has a large number of libraries and frameworks.
- C# is modern, general-purpose Object-Oriented programming.
- C# is also platform-independent and runs on Windows, Linux, Mobile devices.
- C# type-safe code has only access to the memory location that it has permission to execute. Therefore it improves the security of the program.
- It is a component-oriented programming language which helps to develop more robust and highly scalable applications.
- The compilation and execution time of C# is fast.
- Resolving errors in C# is quite difficult and challenging.
- Microsoft has stopped supporting older .NET Frameworks after a few OS upgrades. Since C# is a part of the .Net Framework so the server must run its application on windows.
- It allows pointers in unsafe blocks.
- Requires adequate effort and time to learn5. C & C++
Usage/Application: C# can be used to create Windows desktop applications and games. C# can also be used to develop web applications and becoming more popular for mobile development day by day.
C is probably the oldest programming language in the world. Dennis Ritchie developed C in around 1969 at AT&T Bell Labs. Meanwhile, C++ is one of the most used Programing languages in the world. Bjarne Stroustrup developed C++ in 1985. C or C++ is used to write almost all low-level systems like operating systems, file systems, kernels, etc. Anyone who wishes to be a system-level programmer he or she has to learn C/C++ very well. C++ is also widely used by competitive programmers because it is fast and stable.
- C Offers a great level of portability.
- C is a Procedure-oriented language with a group of function modules and blocks. Debugging, testing, and maintaining the programs is easy.
- C Eases access blocked or hidden objects by other programming languages.
- C++ has a Structured Template Library which is commonly known as STL. The STL is a set of C++ template classes to provide general-purpose classes and functions with templates that implement many popular and commonly used algorithms and data structures like vectors, lists, queues, and stacks.
- C++ supports both procedural and object-oriented programming paradigms.
- C/C++ Faster execution of programs than most programming languages.
- Exception handling and function overloading is one of the key features of C++
- Pointers in C/C++ are a relatively difficult concept to learn for the beginners.
- Built-in threads are not supported by C++.
- C has certain security issues that still exist due to the availability of friend functions, global variables, and pointers.
- Small Library function in C.
Usage/Application: C/C++ is used in Gaming Applications, GUI Based Applications, Database Software, and In Operating System etc.
Go, also commonly known as Golang, is a programming language is Developed at Google in 2009 by Robert Griesemer, Ken Thompson, and Rob Pike.
- Fast and easy to learn syntax.
- It is a garbage-collected language. So the developer doesn’t need to invest lots of time for memory management, as the language itself takes care of most of the grunt work needed
- Ideal for building SPAs (single-page applications)
- Excellent support for multithreading
- It has efficient concurrency handling like Java.
- It has 729K+ repositories on GitHub.
- It has rich documentation.
- Go is still a very fresh language and so it has Poor Library Support
- Interfaces Are Implicit
- Broken Dependency Management.
- Handling errors are Difficult.
Usage/Application: Go programming language is used in Cloud Computing, Big data, and other complex applications.
Swift is a programming language that is developed by Apple in July 2010. It is used to develop the IOS Application. A huge market is captured by iOS and giving tough competition to android. People who are interested in becoming an iOS Developer can learn Swift.
- Open Source Programming language.
- Swift provides safeguards to prevent errors and improve readability.
- It is easily readable language as it has easy syntax.
- It has an automatic memory management system that prevents the memory leak.
- Scalable and easy to add some new features in it.
- 161K+ repositories on GitHub
- Swift is unstable because of continuous updates of its versions.
- Community Support is not so strong yet.
Usage/Application: iOS and MACOS Applications are made by Swift Nowadays.
Ross Ihaka and Robert Gentleman developed the R programming language in 1993. It is one of the most popular languages used by many statisticians, data analysts, researchers, and marketers to retrieve, clean, analyze, visualize, and present data.
- R is Open Source software.
- It Runs on All Platform
- It has cross-platform compatibility.
- It gives a good performance in data science and machine learning.
- 5M+ repositories on GitHub.
- In R, the quality of some packages is not up to the mark
- R does not have the best memory management. Therefore, it may consume all available memory.
Usage/Application: Data Science projects, Statistical computing, Machine learning
Kotlin is a programming language introduced by JetBrains first appeared in 2011. It is a strongly statically typed language that runs on JVM. Google announced Kotlin as an official language for android development In 2017.
- Kotlin is an Open Source and Object-Oriented Programming language.
- Kotlin is interoperable with Java. This means all your current Java/Android code seamlessly works with Kotlin.
- Kotlin code is much more concise compared to Java. Also, Kotlin code is much easier to understand and write.
- Kotlin Combines functional and procedural Programming.
- Kotlin works great with all existing Java libraries, frameworks and gives the same level of performance as Java.
- Its Compilation Speed is slower.
- Limited Resources for Learning Kotlin
Usage/Application: Kotlin can be used on the server-side, client-side, and android app.
PHP is a server-side programming language. In 1994, Rasmus Lerdorf created PHP. More than 20 million websites are using PHP nowadays.
- PHP is both functional and object-oriented programming.
- PHP runs on various platforms like Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, etc.
- PHP supports a wide range of databases
- PHP one of the best coding languages which has a reasonably good system of automation tools available for testing and deploying
- Its documentation is sufficient and has a large amount of community support.
- PHP is unable to handle a huge number of apps.
- PHP’s popularity is decreasing day by day.
- PHP is also known for its security vulnerabilities. Since it is open-sourced, all people can see the source code. If there are bugs in the source code, it can be used by people to explore the weakness of it.
Usage/Application: PHP is the code running content-oriented websites such as Facebook, WordPress, and Wikipedia.